Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nopale Rellanos (fried Cactus)

Lets first start off with a little history about why I decided to make this dish. When I first met my husband he took me to a little taco place that served carnitas with nopales. Nopales? Never heard of them. They made a salad verion of them that you can top your tacos with. So I asked him what are Nopales? His response "Cactus"!!! Now there was no way I was going to try cactus. He's crazy. Or so I though anyway. It took me about a year before I finally tried them, and to my surprise I loved them. They had a tangy-green-beany-taste. Hard to describe, but either way I loved them, and wanted to learn how to cook more with them. So the journey began. I have several favorite that I make with them such as Ensalada de Nopales (cactus salad), Nopales con Puerco (cactus with pork), Nopales con bistek (cactus with beef), and of course Nopales con Pollo (cactus with chicken). I had been using the jarred kind because that way I didnt need to worry about those sharp thorns, but my curiousity got the best of me. I had to try to make fresh ones. Then came this recipe. My husband described it to me and I called my mother-in-law to get a list of ingredients and the fun began! Also, since making these fresh ones I will no longer but the jarred version, they taste so much better fresh. So here's the recipe:

Nopale Rellanos
3 Whole Cactus Paddles
Husk only of 1 Tomatillo
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 lb Monterrey Cheese or Oaxaca Cheese
4 Eggs - Seperate egg whites and yolks
1 Cup Flour
Oil for frying

Sauce:
4 Roma Tomatoes
1 White Onion
1 Jalapeno
3 Garlic Cloves
1-2 Tablespoons Oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
1/3 cup water
1/2 chicken bouillon cube

Now I will worn you before I give the instructions to be careful with the cactus paddle because its very painful to get the thorns in your finger. I use tongs to handle them when I clean them.

1.To prepare the cactus, hold by the end and use a scrub brush (or kitchen sponge) to lightly scrub off the thorns on cacus paddle. Flip and repeat on other side. Set aside and finish then all. Cut the "stem/butt" end off of cactus, and continue to cut around the outside edge of cactus. Cut each directly in half.







2.Place tomato, onion, jalapeno, galic cloves and oil onto foil wrapped pan and place into oven on low broil until skins are blistered. About 20 minutes. Remove skins and place into blender with cumin, water, salt, pepper and chicken bouillon. Blend until smooth. Set aside.

3.Bring pot of water to boil, add tomatillo husk, salt and cactus. Simmer until cactus is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain water and discard husk.
4.Beat egg whites until stiff. Continue beating and add the egg yolks. Set aside. Place flour into dish big enough to dredge each cactus. Heat skillet with oil for frying.



5.Place paddles of same size together. Take slices of cheese and place onto one peice of cactus, make sure its not sticking out the side. Place matching sized peice of cactus on top (like a sandwich). Carefully hold it together and dredge it into the flour, make sure the flour stays well by rubbing it into the cactus leaves. Then dip the cactus into egg mixture, cover all sides well. You may use a fork and spoon and carefully transfer this into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, flipping only once. About 7-9 minutes on each side. Once golden brown remove from oil and let drain on paper towels. Continue until all are done.











6.Place tomato salsa mixture onto plate and place cactus on top. Serve with tortillas and sour cream.



Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Share Bear, I have never thought of frying the whole cactus. To be honest with you, I am not fond of cactus, not much flavor,IMO. But hubby and MIL like it so I try. This would be different and a surprise for them! Thank You and I know life is in full speed for you, so hang in there and I'll talk to you on the board! Love,Pattycakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patti! This is sooo good, when my husband told me about them I had to try them to see what they were. Be careful with the thorns, ill tell you from experience it hurts for weeks if you get them in your fingers.

    ReplyDelete